How to Build a Platform Bed
Platform beds are very modern and the most stylish options to the expensive furniture. These beds are very easy to built as they just contain boxes stacked up and they may contain headboards or just can be without them. One of the most important feature of these beds is that they can be easily modified when needs change in future. These beds are quite easy on budget. This article talks about some ways to build a platform bed; read on for more information.
Ways to Build a Platform Bed
The following ways guide you to build a platform bed:
- First, make a visual plan or a detailed structure of the kin of bed you want to build. Also, keep in mind the dimensions of your mattresses to assist you in building a platform bed.
- Wood should be of the best quality for your bed and hardwood like palm and teak should be used.
- Collect all the required tools like saws, tools, power drills, adhesives, screws and other materials which would be required.
- If you are not skilled enough to make it by yourself, you can always get it done by the local furniture shop near to your home.
- Focus on the bed frame and collect different frames which will form the platform bed. A combination of screws and adhesives should be used to fix them securely. Nails should not be fixed at this time as it may cause the splitting of wood.
- When the frames are complete, work should be done on wooden slats. These slats serve as a base for the mattress and a person’s body weight. Thus, the slat should be solid. Now, fix the cut slats using screws and adhesive at the joints onto the bed.
- On the top of slats, glue the medium density fiberboard sheet. To fill any exposed drill holes, use wood filler.
- Using a sandpaper, smoothen the exposed and rough wooden surfaces to get a perfect finish.
- You can also fix a sheet or color the bed matching with the interiors and color of the walls in your bedroom.
- Also, do not forget to spray an insecticide on the wooden surface to prevent the attacks of carpenter ants or termites.
The above are a few steps to build a platform bed. These beds can further be enhanced by adding a headboard, canopy, drawer sets etc. Platform beds are the perfect option for a contemporary, comfortable and total value for money beds.